Skip to main content

Cancer in Cyprus and the contribution of Pasykaf. My experiential testimony.

Cancer in Cyprus and the contribution of Pasykaf. My experiential testimony. 
‘’Suffering of cancer’’
 My mother died of profuse bleeding caused by an aggressive metastatic skin cancer.
But really, who was this woman and how did she end watching cancer through the mirror eating her flesh?
My mother Theodora came from the small village of Limnia near Famagusta. The love she felt for my father Yianni brought to the village of Deryneia where she was fortunate enough to live with him for only 13 years.  Difficult but beautiful years within which she got 5 children.
My father died at the age of 33 and my mom was left alone to raise her five children, with the oldest being 11 years old girl and the youngest 2 year old boy.
So our mother dressed in black she was carrying her mourning everywhere for years.
Dressed in black, she worked for years in the hot summer sun to raise us. She worked as a labourer in the fields, in construction, in asphalting roads. For some years she had made ice cream selling it by pushing a hand truck around the village and at some festivals.
Often on Sundays she cooked at weddings, put roast in the oven. Lit 5-10 ovens each time, burning herself from time to time.
Her life’s conditions improved when she was hired to work in a restaurant and in a hotel later.
Difficult years but our mother managed raise us as better as she could and in a way she believed it was the best for us according to her own capabilities and knowledge.
Right after she retired and she started to enjoy the rest of her life, a tiny white spot appeared on her face.
We took her to the doctor who removed the speckle and he assist to continue the treatment by using some creams.
The white mark appeared again, somewhat larger this time.
The doctor made a small operation, removed something from the skin which it was sent for biopsy.
Unfortunately, either because we did not understand properly, or we did not read the biopsy or we were not informed and guided us properly, we stayed quiet and did not ask someone else’s opinion.
Shortly after a tiny little tumour appeared under the skin on the lower jaw area.
That tiny tumour started to grow bigger and became painful and according to the doctor it should have been removed immediately.
The operation took place in the General Hospital of Nicosia where doctors and nurses were faultless in their work and to us.
Leaving the hospital the necessary chemotherapy should follow that meant a daily come and go to the hospital in Nicosia and a daily nursing supervision and care.
We found ourselves in a difficult situation. The five children living in different areas and each with own family and jobs.
Some people told us of Pasykaf (The Cyprus Association of Cancer Patients and Friend). That was a big relieve. Our salvation.
The nurse from Pasykaf would come home every day and the bus will take our mom in Nicosia whenever she needed it.
This offer of Pasykaf to our mother and to us of course, lasted about a year, was with us until she was buried.
Having the chemotherapy our mother had somewhat weakened, but still has a good spirit despite the operation that affected the proper function of one of her eyes and her lower jaw.
At Easter holidays of2012 I went home and found my mother lying. It was late afternoon and I asked her why she lay at this time, she told me that she was feeling tired somewhat.
I thought she felt tired because of her illness knowing that the home work was done by her domestic helper who she had long before.
I let her rest and I went to my sister who lives next door.
I told her that our mother felt tired and my sister wondered: how not to be tired after cooking and baking all day for Easter?
Speaking with my mother later, I told her that she did not have to do anything because in her state she would get tired easily.
She responded to me: I will let you celebrate Easter without any special food and pies? That was my mother. That’s how she treated us all her life.
She Lie down to rest for a while she said, but she never got up again. She spent Easter in bed thru the next few months until her death.
On Easter Monday the whole family gathered to wish her for the feast and for a speedy recovery. At that point I realized that the beginning of the end started. The scars on her skin grew, became holes in the body.
A few days later she had her first profuse bleeding. Things got worse.
We decided we had to stay with her one of us every night. To keep an eye on her and make her feel our love and care.
We did not want to somehow take her away from home, we couldn’t feel well to such an idea, and it could have been the worst we could ever do to her.
Our neighbours and relatives were by her side every day, also her friends who heard the bad news.
We gathered together in the evenings as often as we could.
The situation grew worse, the cancer was insatiable, and the holes became craters on her neck and shoulder, so deep and large that an egg could fit into them.
So unbearable pain. There is no man who can stand it.
A strong pungent odour emerged from the wounds, it smelled rotten flesh. This nasty stench was getting on to me at home in Nicosia, I did not think that were the case. I asked the nurse of Pasykaf if she withstand the stench and I was telling her what was happening to me, yes it is true, the stench is so strong that follows you until you get used to it.
Mom was in serum and painkillers. Her overworked body diminished day by day.
Her psychology had the ups and downs. Despite the pain she was at some days able to understand what was happening around her, she could talk and had a clear mind, some days she was like a plant, silent corpse, sad to see.
One day I found dipped in her diarrhoea. She was wet throughout and smelled awful. I asked her helper to bring me whatever I need for cleaning her. It was an opportunity for me to reciprocate for what she have done for me all those years.
My mother did not accept, she was telling me it is a shame and I answered back, were you ashamed when you cleaned me when I was young?
I struggled but I cleaned her. It was not the dirt that made it difficult but the image I saw removing her clothes. She was just like a leather bag full of bones. A living dead in the wet bed. She was only her half left.
On the days when I went to see her or to stay with her at night, because the house was full of people, we sat outside and she could not listen to us when we spoke. But whenever I was leaving she kept asking my siblings what I was telling them. I think she did this because she knew how straight I was on my words and perhaps by asking she could find out the real truth about her situation.
She could not sleep at night, she had intolerable pain and would not let my siblings to sleep when staying with her. She never did such a thing to me, every time I stayed with her before going to bed I was telling her it was time to sleep and we should sleep quietly and indeed that’s what did.
In the morning I would put her on the wheelchair and pushed her around the neighbourhood up to the church and back. As we passed by any house I was telling her the name of her neighbour to have an idea where she was. When reaching the church I asked her to pray if she wanted to.
When we got back home I let under the shade of the trees for a while, something that she always enjoyed all the years before. I spoke her about the life we ​​spent together, the good and the bad.
Reminiscent of some of the naughty things I did in the past and laughed.
One Saturday morning after our standard ride with the cart, we sat down again in the shadow of the sycamore for our usual morning conversation.
That morning I talked about the bitterness of life and for joys that came later, on trips we made together, and for the journey of life itself, reminded her of human’s destiny and that death is part of our life. I told her that she had not many days to live and I asked her if she wanted me to do one last thing for her. I asked her where she would like to be buried when dying. She told me that she understood and that she was near the time of death and that she would like somewhere in a shady place near the grave of my dad, uncle’s and grandfather’s.
I put her in bed to be able to leave her.
I went to the cemetery and looked for space with shade and close to where mom wanted.
I found a place beneath an acacia but did not know if it was empty and available.
I went back to mom, I sat on her bed and I described in detail the site I found. She said yes, the place seemed good and she ask me to put the flowers on top.
I contacted the church committee and they assured me that the place was empty. I asked them to keep it for my mother who would be leaving soon.
When the nurse from Pasykaf came to see my mother I asked her what was the use of the serum, was it a medicine or just a food supplement.
The nurse told me that the serum contains substances that the body needs, a food.
When the nurse finished and finally came out and away from my mother for not listening to our conversation, I asked what would occur if I remove the serum. The nurse told me that removing the serum the body will weaken and slowly die.
So we keep the patient alive only to suffer I replied, and asked her what would she advise us but she refused to give me an answer.
I told her that I would speak with my siblings to ask them to remove the serum. If they agreed I would come the next morning to show me how to remove it.
My siblings couldn’t decide such a thing. Being sentimental than realistic.
My mother herself took us out of that trap, the next morning she asked the nurse to pull out of her the serum. I don’t know if she heard me or not, this I will never find out.
A few days later she requested to bring the priest to confess and to make the Holy Unction. She knew of the worst coming and she wanted to be prepared.
The last weekend before she died I stayed with her and left Monday morning. Before I left she asked if I would come back again the next day, I told her that I would come Wednesday to take on trip by car. Take me to the Virgin of Kykkos she said.
On Wednesday I visited her as I'd promised.
Although it was not my turn to stay with her, I was holding company of my older sister who would stay with mom that night.
Before we managed to fall asleep our mother shouted.
She was writhed in bed as the blood gushed like a fountain from her neck. Blood everywhere, pain, voices in the night.
We called an ambulance that arrived immediately as they already knew the way after so many times we called them before.
Bleeding was such as being slaughter, nothing could be done.
At the hospital I was holding her hand and looked in her eyes trying hard to understand what she was struggling to tell me. I couldn’t manage to read her lips to understand what the last she wanted to tell me was.  She died.
I stayed with her helping the nurses to close her eyes and mouth, and to straighten the lifeless skeletal body.
We buried on Friday June 22 of 2012 in the grave I described her before for her eternal rest in a flowery and shady place as she always wanted.
PS
Through this testimony we should learn to protect ourselves from the sun and to see the doctor for anything odd, weird, unusual occur in our body.
Going to the doctor we should make sure that we understood correctly what he said.
Please read carefully any notes you from your doctor.
Always ask for a second opinion.
We have to understand that life is short and money can’t buy it.
Pasykaf performs a real pious work.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Το Ναυάγιο του SS Porlock Hill

Το Ναυάγιο του SS Porlock Hill : Μια Ιστορική, Τεχνική και Επιχειρησιακή Ανάλυση (Δερύνεια, 1951) Περίληψη ( Abstract ): Η παρούσα έκθεση εξετάζει το ναυάγιο του βρετανικού πλοίου τύπου Liberty , SS Porlock Hill , το οποίο σημειώθηκε τον Δεκέμβριο του 1951 στις ακτές της Αμμοχώστου. Αναλύονται τα τεχνικά αίτια της δομικής αστοχίας, το γεωπολιτικό πλαίσιο, οι επιχειρήσεις διάσωσης και οι τοπικές μαρτυρίες για την περισυλλογή εμπορευμάτων και οπλισμού από τους κατοίκους της Δερύνειας και της Αμμοχώστου. 1. Ταυτότητα του Πλοίου και Τεχνικά Χαρακτηριστικά Πριν το συμβάν, το σκάφος αποτελούσε μέρος της παγκόσμιας εφοδιαστικής αλυσίδας της μεταπολεμικής περιόδου. Όνομα Πλοίου: SS Porlock Hill (Πρώην SS Sabik). Τύπος: Liberty Ship (γνωστά για τη μαζική παραγωγή τους κατά τον Β' Παγκόσμιο Πόλεμο). Ιδιοκτησία: Counties Ship Management Co. Ltd. (Συμφερόντων Ρεθύμνη & Κουλουκουντή). Φορτίο: Άνθρακας, ξυλεία ( timber ), τρόφιμα και στρατιωτικό υλικό. Π...

Οι Καλύφες της Λαμπρής (Kalyfes tis Lampris)

Οι Καλύφες της Λαμπρής:Στο Αλώνι της Αγάπης, της Χαράς και της Πίστης Οι Αρχιτέκτονες της Παράδοσης Η άνοιξη του 1905 βρήκε τη Δερύνεια λουσμένη σε ένα φως που έμοιαζε να πηγάζει από την ίδια την ελπίδα. Σε ένα χωριό 80 πέτρινων σπιτιών και 450 ψυχών, η ανέγερση της εκκλησίας του Αγίου Μοδέστου είχε φέρει έναν πρωτόγνωρο αναβρασμό. Όμως, το πραγματικό «βασίλειο» της ημέρας δεν βρισκόταν μέσα στον ναό, αλλά ακριβώς δίπλα: στο παλιό αλώνι, που είχε καθαριστεί σχολαστικά από την κοπριά για να υποδεχτεί τη νεολαία. Εκεί, μακριά από τη σοβαροφάνεια των μεγάλων που παρακολουθούσαν «στραβά» από το καφενείο, οι έφηβοι είχαν στήσει τη δική τους επανάσταση. Ο Γιαννής και ο Ττοουλής, με τα χέρια λερωμένα από το χώμα και την ψάθα, πάλευαν με τα σχοινιά πάνω στα δοκάρια. — «Σφίξε το σχοινί πάνω στο δοκάρι, Γιαννή!» φώναζε ο Ττοουλής, σκουπίζοντας τη σκόνη και τον ιδρώτα από το πρόσωπό του. «Να μην μας έρθει η καλύφη στο κεφάλι την ώρα που θα παίζει το βιολί!» — «Έννοια σου, ρε!» απαντούσ...

«Στη Δερύνεια παίζανε βόλεϊ πριν καν εφευρεθεί το άθλημα: Η ιστορία μιας μεγάλης παράδοσης»

Από τον «Βουνό» της Δερύνειας στην Παγκόσμια Αθλητική Σκηνή: Μια Ιστορική Αναδρομή της Πετοσφαίρισης Εισαγωγή Η ιστορία της πετοσφαίρισης (βόλεϊ) συχνά διδάσκεται ως ένα γραμμικό χρονικό που ξεκινά από τις Ηνωμένες Πολιτείες στα τέλη του 19ου αιώνα. Ωστόσο, μια βαθύτερη έρευνα στα αρχεία της Ανατολικής Μεσογείου και ειδικότερα της Κύπρου, αποκαλύπτει μια πιο σύνθετη εικόνα. Η εξέλιξη του αθλήματος στη Δερύνεια και την ευρύτερη επαρχία Αμμοχώστου αποτελεί ένα μοναδικό παράδειγμα πολιτισμικής ανταλλαγής, κοινωνικής ανθεκτικότητας και εθνικής ταυτότητας. 1. Οι Πρωτόγονες Απαρχές: Ο «Βουνός» της Δερύνειας (1880) Πριν ο William G . Morgan καταγράψει τους επίσημους κανόνες του " Mintonette " το 1895, οι σπόροι ενός παρόμοιου αθλήματος είχαν ήδη φυτευτεί στην Κύπρο. Το καλοκαίρι του 1880, το 2ο Τάγμα των Lancashire Fusiliers υπό τον Αντισυνταγματάρχη John Davis , κατέφυγε στην τοποθεσία «Βουνός» στα υψώματα της Δερύνειας για να προστατευτεί από τη μαλάρια, τον διαβόητο ...