Skip to main content

Galinoporni! A pure Turkish Cypriot village of witch the inhabitants speak Greek.

Galinoporni! A pure Turkish Cypriot village of witch the inhabitants speak Greek.
The village of Galinoporni is located on the south coast of the occupied by the Turkish army Karpas peninsula, in the triangle between the villages of Ayia Triada, Korovia, and Rizokarpaso.
Galinoporni is built in an amphitheatric shape on the slopes of the Skoutelis and Kastro hills and overlooks the blue sea that stretches endless in front of it.
The village today has around 320 inhabitants and according to them, some 10,000 other villagers are scattered around the world, with most living in England.
The villagers are all Sunni Muslims and they speak the Greek language of the Cypriot dialect.
Turkish language is taught in school and the villagers use it in their writing, for official use and for communication with the rest of Turkish Cypriots.
Religion seems that it does not play a big role in the life of residents and is rather just a part of their culture, since they themselves are not deeply religious.
The remaining residents of the village are mostly farmers while some work as laborers on construction sites and elsewhere.
Galinoporni as a settlement existed before the occupation of Cyprus by the Ottomans in 1571. This is confirmed by the medieval maps of Cyprus, which record the village in the same location and with the same name. The residents at that time were Greek Christians that they were converted in to Muslims in the late 17th century most probably, and remained as such until the end of the Ottoman rule in Cyprus.
In a census made by the Ottomans in 1831 it seems that there were no Christians in the village, while the inventory made by the British in 1891 recorded 10 Christians.
A small number of Christians lived in Galinoporni until 1931. The number of Christians never exceeded 15, while the number of Muslims raised from 83 in 1831 to 583 in 1931.
As the old people of Galinoporni remember, there were two churches in the village destroyed by disuse and were lost over time. There was also a chapel of St. Anne just off the village, that no longer exists, but its name is still used for a location in the east of the village. Residents of Galinoporni testify that, in times of drought there was prayer at the chapel of St. Anne and was attended by both Christians and Muslims.
In the northeast of the village stands the chapel of St. George as a delimiter between Galinoporni and Rizokarpaso villages.
The history of Galinoporni can confidently say that, reaches the late Bronze Age, as archaeological excavations at Vasilis hill (king) brought to light important findings of that period.
Also a family tomb of the Hellenistic period is carved on the steep slope of the Kastro hill.
Urbanisation decline the number of the inhabitants, resulting in the closure of the village school and the children are forced to go to school in Leonarisso village a few kilometres away.
It is unknown where the village got its name from, but the local people made theories about it and there are three versions of it.
The two versions are similar and want the name to derive from the words France and Whore. Proponents of this view say, at the Frankish period in Cyprus there were prostitutes in the village giving pleasure to passers as the village was a popular stop for people going to Rizokarpaso village and to Apostos Andreas monastery. Others say that the sick prostitutes were exiled to this place.
The other version is derived from the Turkish name of the village Kaleburnu that means Castle on a Cape.
Personally I think the name of the village comes from the words Peace and Dawn (Serenity of the Dawn) or (Peaceful Morning) and this because in the village there is a constant serenity imparted to the people.
The amphitheatric shape of the village resonates on the slopes of the hills the tranquillity of dawn and the hum of the waves while watching the sun emerging from the sea.






Comments

  1. Very ineresting..its nice to know other cultures..relugions and tgeir rich heritage.
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Το Ναυάγιο του SS Porlock Hill

Το Ναυάγιο του SS Porlock Hill : Μια Ιστορική, Τεχνική και Επιχειρησιακή Ανάλυση (Δερύνεια, 1951) Περίληψη ( Abstract ): Η παρούσα έκθεση εξετάζει το ναυάγιο του βρετανικού πλοίου τύπου Liberty , SS Porlock Hill , το οποίο σημειώθηκε τον Δεκέμβριο του 1951 στις ακτές της Αμμοχώστου. Αναλύονται τα τεχνικά αίτια της δομικής αστοχίας, το γεωπολιτικό πλαίσιο, οι επιχειρήσεις διάσωσης και οι τοπικές μαρτυρίες για την περισυλλογή εμπορευμάτων και οπλισμού από τους κατοίκους της Δερύνειας και της Αμμοχώστου. 1. Ταυτότητα του Πλοίου και Τεχνικά Χαρακτηριστικά Πριν το συμβάν, το σκάφος αποτελούσε μέρος της παγκόσμιας εφοδιαστικής αλυσίδας της μεταπολεμικής περιόδου. Όνομα Πλοίου: SS Porlock Hill (Πρώην SS Sabik). Τύπος: Liberty Ship (γνωστά για τη μαζική παραγωγή τους κατά τον Β' Παγκόσμιο Πόλεμο). Ιδιοκτησία: Counties Ship Management Co. Ltd. (Συμφερόντων Ρεθύμνη & Κουλουκουντή). Φορτίο: Άνθρακας, ξυλεία ( timber ), τρόφιμα και στρατιωτικό υλικό. Π...

Η Συγκλονιστική Συμβολή της Κύπρου και της Δερύνειας στον Β' Παγκόσμιο Πόλεμο

28η Οκτωβρίου: Το "ΟΧΙ" της Ελλάδας και η Συγκλονιστική Συμβολή της Κύπρου και της Δερύνειας στον Β' Παγκόσμιο Πόλεμο Τιμούμε σήμερα την επέτειο της 28ης Οκτωβρίου 1940, την ημέρα που η Ελλάδα είπε το μεγάλο "ΟΧΙ" απέναντι στο ιταλικό τελεσίγραφο, αποφασίζοντας να αντισταθεί στον φασισμό του Μουσολίνι και στον ναζισμό του Χίτλερ. Ενώ η βύθιση του Αντιτορπιλικού «Έλλη» τον Αύγουστο του 1940 δεν στάθηκε ικανή αιτία πολέμου για την τότε κυβέρνηση Μεταξά, το τελεσίγραφο λίγους μήνες αργότερα δεν άφησε περιθώρια. Ο Ελληνικός λαός κλήθηκε να υπερασπιστεί την πατρίδα στο Αλβανικό Μέτωπο. Ωστόσο, η Κύπρος, ως Βρετανική Αποικία, είχε ήδη μπει στον πόλεμο νωρίτερα, στις 3 Σεπτεμβρίου 1939 , μόλις η Μεγάλη Βρετανία κήρυξε τον πόλεμο ενάντια στη Γερμανία. Η Μαζική Συμμετοχή και το Κυπριακό Σύνταγμα Η απόφαση των Ελλήνων να αντισταθούν βρήκε τους Κυπρίους ενεργούς, με την κατάταξη να ξεκινά ήδη από τον Οκτώβριο του 1939. Οι χιλιάδες Κύπριοι που εντάχθηκαν στον Αγ...

«Στη Δερύνεια παίζανε βόλεϊ πριν καν εφευρεθεί το άθλημα: Η ιστορία μιας μεγάλης παράδοσης»

Από τον «Βουνό» της Δερύνειας στην Παγκόσμια Αθλητική Σκηνή: Μια Ιστορική Αναδρομή της Πετοσφαίρισης Εισαγωγή Η ιστορία της πετοσφαίρισης (βόλεϊ) συχνά διδάσκεται ως ένα γραμμικό χρονικό που ξεκινά από τις Ηνωμένες Πολιτείες στα τέλη του 19ου αιώνα. Ωστόσο, μια βαθύτερη έρευνα στα αρχεία της Ανατολικής Μεσογείου και ειδικότερα της Κύπρου, αποκαλύπτει μια πιο σύνθετη εικόνα. Η εξέλιξη του αθλήματος στη Δερύνεια και την ευρύτερη επαρχία Αμμοχώστου αποτελεί ένα μοναδικό παράδειγμα πολιτισμικής ανταλλαγής, κοινωνικής ανθεκτικότητας και εθνικής ταυτότητας. 1. Οι Πρωτόγονες Απαρχές: Ο «Βουνός» της Δερύνειας (1880) Πριν ο William G . Morgan καταγράψει τους επίσημους κανόνες του " Mintonette " το 1895, οι σπόροι ενός παρόμοιου αθλήματος είχαν ήδη φυτευτεί στην Κύπρο. Το καλοκαίρι του 1880, το 2ο Τάγμα των Lancashire Fusiliers υπό τον Αντισυνταγματάρχη John Davis , κατέφυγε στην τοποθεσία «Βουνός» στα υψώματα της Δερύνειας για να προστατευτεί από τη μαλάρια, τον διαβόητο ...